Friday 2 August 2013

Kit list

A friend of mine suggested we post about the kit, so here's what I'm taking along with the bike. 

I'll start with nutrition: on the ride I'll be using a carb and electrolyte drink as well as water and energy bars to stay fuelled and hydrated, immediately after the ride I'll have a protein and carb shake to help recovery. We'll be using between 3000 and 4000 calories a day on the ride so it's important to keep energy levels up. 

We're taking general spares for the bikes: tubes, patches, chain links, spokes, brake pads and I'll also bring my tool kit and track pump. We can buy specific items as we go, but I hope we won't need them. 

One of the most important items is the Garmin GPS. It's used to monitor key data (distance, speed, heart rate, cadence, ascent, etc.) but more importantly for navigation. We've plotted all of our journey in advance and are using detailed mapping to stay on the right road, this saves faffing with maps and should avoid (most) arguments about which direction to go. 

We're each taking three sets of cycling clothes: one on, one drying and one ready for the next day. In addition we'll apply sun cream and chamois cream to the appropriate parts of our bodies to stop burning and chafing. 

That's it for me, I suspect I've forgotten something important, but I think I'll be ok. Tomorrow we head down to Calais to start the ride for real. 

2 comments: